About the Council

The Community Council is made up of local people who have an interest in their local area and the community they serve. They are elected to serve
for up to four years and they are unpaid.

Currently, all Mitchel Troy United's councillors are independent of affiliation to any political party. However, candidates may stand for election either
as independents or representing a political party. Community councillors are unpaid.

Local Government in Wales

Community councils are the first tier of local government in Wales, the next tier is the unitary authority (County, County Boroughs or City). Our County Council is Monmouthshire County Council.

Community councils in Wales are similar to English parish councils in terms of their powers and the way they operate. Some community councils are known as Town Councils, such as, for example, Monmouth and Abergavenny. However, town councils' powers and responsibilities are identical to those of community councils.

Meetings are held at 7.30 pm on the second Tuesday of each month, with the exception of August and December.

Members (councillors) are elected for a term of four years. In the event of a vacancy occurring mid-term, advertisements are placed in the local press seeking volunteers. Should there be more than one volunteer, the community council will conduct informal interviews at a scheduled meeting.

Community councils are funded principally by an annual precept. Income and expenditure for the next financial year are calculated in the form of estimates. The net amount (the precept) is added to council tax, which is collected by the County Council and paid to communities. Community councils can apply for other funding such as grant and funding awards, but they do not receive funds direct from central government as principal authorities do.

Each community/village is called a ward, which has either one or two community councillors, dependent upon the size of its population. The map (coming soon) shows the ward boundaries for Mitchel Troy United.

Our County Councillor usually attends meetings, reporting back from Monmouthshire CC and in turn taking our concerns directly to the relevant department.